Follow Author At Twitter Mary Johnson@mjadvocate
1) Be Noise_ If you have a gut feeling something is wrong, investigate and make inquiries
2) Ask Many Questions- Start at the local level and don't take no or give in because lack of collaboration from individual deter you.
3) Talk To You Children- Always speak to your children on how their day when at school. Push through the respond nothing.
4) Take Times Off Work- Once a month or more make a classroom visit to your child classrooms.
5) Become Advocate- You need to be eyes and ears for your child, that mean using NCLB section 1118 to know who teaching your child. You children have rights and so do you as parents under NCLB and California Ed Codes.
6) Learn The Rules Of Engagement- To navigate the K-12 grades school structure you must leatrn what laws govern the agency. Do you home by using internet to explore the policies that help you hold the system accountability from bottom up.
7) Learn How To Organize_ Start talking to others parents at school sites or in community about school issues. You are not alone their are others with same issues. A good place is outside the school gates> Evey morning parents stand around talking after school bell rang. This is great place to start to build relationship with other parents. Don't be afraid to take the intial.
Please remember goes in two , so you have a witness to your conversation. Share your good advice for parents.